December 15, 2006

You Daunt Me...

OK, so subtitling on movies here is a little ridiculous (not to mention the english phrases you'll find on consumer goods). I saw a clip of the movie "Cars" in which on car said to another (in subtitles) "You Daunt me!" I wonder if anyone has ever daunted me? Maybe before I leave Mongolia, I will be daunted. One of my fellow teachers is married to a large Mongolian man. He challenged me to a wrestling match when we go out tomorrow for drinks. If he was serious, I may be daunted. It depends on how much I drink.

Jessica and I are settling in nicely. We have a two-week break coming up and we are taking a brief trip with some of the Turkish teachers. We are going to a town about 80 km north... I can't remember the name. Ask Jessica for that. I look forward to getting out of the city for a little while.

I was asked today to play Santa at the holiday concert at the school. I guess I have the girth for it, and maybe the pedigree. We'll see how I do. The christmas spirit here is a little frenetic, but less acquisitive, so I guess that is a good thing. I haven't seen any De Beers commercials telling people that a diamond is better than saying I love you, so that is comforting.

Anyway, I'll let you know how the wrestling match goes...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you know what is daunting? Trying to get ahold of your brother by phone when he lives 13 hours in the future in a country whose phone circuits seem to be full all the time. So I have tried to call you twice at home and can't get through and twice via cell and have had no luck there either. Also, I was thinking whenever we try to call eachother the one of us is getting ready for bed and the other is at work. Soooo .... do you guys have an e-mail address we can speak through? Also, my operator said I need to dial 011 - 976 - 1 and then your home phone or 011 - 976 - 99 and then the rest of your cell to get through. Does this sound right?

Well, anyway - Merry Christmas! Hope to get ahold of you over the holidays.

Love Jamie

Anonymous said...

Yes! if you are calling through Calling Card That is correct.