October 1, 2008

Apparently this guy is a little more important than I thought


While doing some research on Colombian history (I don´t know it so well), particularly the history of conflict, I ran across a name I had seen before: Jorge Eliécer Gaitán. If you recall, I briefly referenced him when talking about Colombian Currency.

So, this guy was a populist and a liberal, and was running for president in 1948. It seems that he was likely to win. On April 9, 1948, a young Fidel Castro was waiting to meet with Mr. Gaitán. As the colombian politician left his office, he was shot in the head and chest. He died shortly after.

To make a long story short, this murder sparked rioting and killing, and is widely held as the beginning of political unrest and violence still plaguing Colombia today. Also, it is speculated that the incident had a strong impact on the young Castro, and pushed him to question the ability to initiate change through electoral politics. Of course, that is speculation. Also interesting speculation, our own beloved CIA is one of the potential perpetrators.

Mr. Gaitán's death directly impacted the histories of two Latin American nations, maybe more. I apologize for giving him such short shrift. I wonder what other important people died out there that I am unfamiliar with?

No comments: